Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Soup, Soup, Lovely Fat Blasting Soup!

Whenever I feel like I need a metabolism boost, I go on a week of extremely healthy, veggie soup. I use my crock pot and cook it for hours. I make a lot and I eat it for lunch and dinner everyday for a week. Sometimes for dinner I'll add a very lean, perfect portion, grilled chicken breast on the side for some protein. The lovely thing about my veggie soup is that it is very filling, very yummy and it is chalked full of nutrients! Another great thing about veggie soup is that you can tailor it to fit you and what you like. This makes a LOT of soup, I use my 5 quart crock pot. Scale it up or down to fit your needs. Here's what I like:

Veggie, Veggie Soup Baby!

1 64 ounces can of V8
32 oz of peas (frozen or canned, your choice)
32 oz of corn (I prefer frozen)
4 diced potatoes
48 oz of green beans
24 oz of cole slaw mix (one bag and half of another, I like lots of cabbage!)
Carrots (as much or little as you like)
Spices: basil, thyme, crushed red pepper and rosemary (use to your taste)

~Pour the V8 juice into your crock pot on the high temp setting, I add all my spices except red pepper in at this time.
~Cabbage mix goes in first, cook for two and a half hours on high
~Then add potatoes and carrots, cook for another hour and a half
~Then add in the rest of your veggies and the crushed red pepper and cook until everything is nice and tender

Really easy and really delicious and super healthy. A serving which is about 2 cups is about 180 calories!! I have made it with other veggies too, like squash and zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower. Sometimes I leave the potato out completely. Make it the way you like it and eat up. Its a wonderful way to get your veggies, feel full and kick your metabolism into overdrive!

~~Remember that you should be eating other, low calorie protein filled food (like skim string cheese) to get the protein you need for building and repairing muscle.~~

1 comment:

  1. Hello Joy:

    I found this link to your blog on Ameila's mom's blog...

    I hate to be the bearer of bad news about your soup, but potatoes, peas and corn are all starches, not vegetables! This soup would create the most incredible carbohydrate cravings for me...you may want to rethink you ingredients if you want to kick your addiction!

    ReplyDelete